We just passed week 5! Wow, time flies. We have been finishing up the last of the data visualization this week.
This Tuesday, the Civic Data Science teams presented our Mid-Term Presentations to a few of our advisors and other GT faculty members and their graduate students. The presentation was centered around our progress thus far for the last 5 weeks.
For the rest of the week, we have been finishing up the Python script for associating data points with the coordinates of the traffic lights, and refining the bubble map up to its final form.
Jason has been in charge of the script; he has constantly been improving the logic in the code and refining it so that we can eventually get the points associated to one of the 730+ intersections. We are mainly interested in the data points only within 1000 foot square of an intersection. Therefore, Jason has been writing a code that can combine data points that are approaching an intersection. This has been proving tricky because writing logic that can associate a coordinate point with another coordinate requires some finessing with the speed and bearing sections.
In the meantime, we have greatly improved upon the bubble map since last week. We managed to get the hover option running (displaying coordinate and speed when a cursor hovers over the bubble), as well as get started on adding filtering and layering functionality. The level of complexity that we hope to reach with the map still seems distant. We need the intersection logic from the Python script running first so that we can start aggregating data on the bubble map and display the visualization that we want. We’ve finalized that we want the map to display average speed and average delay at the intersection boundaries.
This week, we started working with a graduate student on our team, Zixiu Fu, on the final objective of this project: connecting emergency vehicles to traffic lights. We also met with another graduate student, Somdut Roy, working with Dr. Guin for help with developing our Leaflet map due to his experience. In the coming weeks, we hope to improve our visual map and improve on our scripts such as to filter our data points to being near intersections. We also hope to visit the site in Gwinnett County and gather more information from firefighters as to what procedures are generally followed when approaching an intersection.